- No matching courses listed under Stepping Up to and Mastering Difficult Conversations. Please try viewing the full calendar for a complete list of courses.
We’ve all been there. You know you need to talk to someone about an important issue, but haven’t stepped up to the conversation. You may have danced around the issue or sugarcoated your message. Or, perhaps you relied on hints, sarcasm, or not-so-subtle humor and the person missed the message entirely or got it and became defensive and abusive. At that point, you backed off before the discussion spun out of control. By learning how to speak and be heard (and encouraging others to do the same), you’ll generate the best ideas, make the highest-quality decisions, and act on decisions with unity and commitment.
This workshop teaches individuals and teams from different backgrounds, departments and specialties how to effectively discuss ideas in a way that leads to everyone buying into the decisions. These skills inevitably result in rapid, sustainable, and wide-reaching positive changes in the results you care about the most.
Note! Participants should complete the online Style Under Stress Assessment by VitalSmart prior to attending this course.
- To identify the conversations that are keeping you from your desired results.
- To identify how you deal with people when you are under stress.
- To learn to speak persuasively not abrasively, no matter the topic.
- To gain the ability to make it safe for others to share their honest opinions.
- To understand how to deal with people who either clam up or blow up.
- To gain control of your own emotional responses.
- To understand the difference between fact and the stories we create about other’s intentions.
- To learn how to speak frankly without risking everything.
- To learn strategies so you can disagree without being disagreeable.
- To acquire the skills to influence without exerting force.
- The ability to share facts, ideas, feelings, and opinions candidly and honestly.
- The ability to stay focused on what you really want to achieve and maintain dialogue.
- An understanding of how motives change when conversations turn crucial.
- An awareness of the warning signs that safety is at risk and the steps to rebuild it to engage in productive dialogue.
- Identification of one’s personal Style Under Stress™ and manage it.
- The ability to use specific skills to maintain the sharing of information.
- The capability to stay in dialogue when you’re angry, frustrated or hurt.
- The ability to speak persuasively, not abrasively.
- The skills to share strong opinions without shutting down opposing views.
- The ability to encourage others to share issues they fear bringing up.
- The knowledge and skills to move from healthy dialogue to taking action and achieving results.
- Education and training provided by a knowledgeable and experienced workshop facilitator.
- Experimental learning activities.
- Application exercises that will lead to a deeper understanding of the concepts and potential outcomes.
- Group exercises and discussions.
- Role-playing sessions that allow participants to put theory into practice.
Cancellation Policy: 5 working days for full refund. Cancellations after that time are charged full tuition for the course.
For more information regarding refund, concerns, and/or program cancellation policies please contact our offices at 919-878-7100 ext. 22