Learn Courageously: Building an Inclusive Community of Diversity Champions is a unique experiential learning program for those committed to being catalysts of change and to progressing the work of diversity, equity, and inclusion. These interactive virtual workshops are presented as a series and can be mixed and matched as appropriate for the client’s needs. These sessions are designed for groups of 25+.
AT THE CORE – 2 hours
Who am I? This may be one of the most complex questions to answer. The learning series starts with a session on identity and self-awareness; an exploration of how values and belief systems shape our view of the world, and how experiences play a role in creating limiting beliefs and stereotyping. Understanding the evolution of self is a critical step in opening minds to challenge assumptions, understand preferences, and embrace new ways of thinking.
- To explore personal identity and belief systems and understand their connection to world view.
- To understand the relationship between unconditional acceptance and judgement and develop new ways of forging healthy, inclusive relationships build on a foundation of equality and trust.
- To understand stereotypes and the danger of a single or linear perspective.
- To understand microaggressions and the impact of microaggressions on marginalized people.
- Increased self-awareness of personal identity and how it differs from others.
- Increased awareness of the importance of diversity in broadening the lens we use to understand the world in which we live.
- A greater understanding of triggers that drive people’s actions, behaviors, and decisions.
- A deeper awareness of the impact of stereotypes and microaggressions on marginalized groups.
BLIND SPOTS: UNCONSCIOUS BIAS – 2 hours
Like blind spots in a car, cognitive blind spots are things we systematically overlook intentionally or subconsciously. In this workshop, attendees explore various forms of bias and engage in activities and discussion that illuminate the effect biases have on our day-to-day decisions. Attendees will leave with a better understanding of how to challenge their biases and develop strategies for change.
- To learn about common forms of unconscious bias that impact everyday work and life.
- To understand how our brain is wired to assign meaning to the things we see and experience.
- To understand the impact of bias in decision making and relationships.
- To explore what “triggers” our emotions and how they translate into actions and behaviors.
- Increased emotional and political literacy around topics related to race and racism.
- Increased emotional and political literacy around topics related to white privilege and racialized systems.
- A toolbox for navigating challenging conversations.
- Practical steps one can take on the journey toward becoming anti-racist and an affirming ally.
INCLUSIVE LEADERSHIP – 2 hours
In this workshop, attendees learn the fundamentals of inclusive leadership, what inclusive leaders do and how to hone the skills and mindsets needed to embrace and leverage differences in day-to-day work and in life. Attendees engage in a simulation with colleagues that brings inclusive leadership to life. We conclude with dialogue on steps we can take at work and in life to be more inclusive.
- To learn about the signature traits of inclusive leaders.
- To understand the impact of an “us” vs “them” mindset on inclusion.
- To understand the impact of exclusion and systemic and micro-inequities on mental health.
- To engage in a simulation that illustrates the power of diversity and inclusion in problem solving.
- Skills development in inclusive mindsets.
- An increased awareness of practices that lead to exclusionary behavior and systemic discrimination.
- An understand of the intersection between exclusionary practices, systemic inequity, and mental health.
- A fresh perspective on leveraging diversity to empower innovation and improved business outcomes.
- Education and facilitated dialogue provided by a knowledgeable and experienced DEI practitioner and facilitator.
- Experiential learning activities.
- Application exercises that will lead to a deeper understanding of the concepts and potential outcomes.
- Group exercises and discussions.
- Breakout sessions that allow participants to put concepts into practice.